8 things to do to protect your teeth … young or old
1. Avoid drinking soda pop as part of your daily routine.
2. Visit your dentist at least twice a year for a cleaning to help prevent cavities and detect them early.
3. Avoid having a dry mouth and remedy it with water (not soda, milk, or sports drinks!). Some causes of dry mouth are dehydration, dry climate, and prescription medications.
4. Go to your dentist if you have a problem with your teeth. This includes pain and chipping.
5. Get enough fluoride in your mouth. Consider taking fluoride supplements, especially if you don’t live in an area where the water is fluoridated. Note: if you have TOO MUCH fluoride in your diet, then your teeth will develop yellow spots.
6. Keep your tongue healthy. When you brush your teeth, brush your tongue to get rid of bacteria.
7. Don’t brush your teeth with a hard-bristled brush. Hard bristles can open up the root surfaces through gum recession and can wear down the tooth enamel. Medium or soft is the way to go!
8. Don’t use commercially available whitening products before talking to your dentist.
Category: General Tooth Care Info